Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In Joss we trust

No. Wrong. Madness. Horror. Abomination. END TIMES.

Right, so, possibly an overreaction but, if you really think about it, not really. News of the Joss Whedon-less “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” reboot made The Internets mad yesterday. Really, really, really mad. It made me mad, too. Like really, really, really mad. But also, kind of sad.

Why disrespect the man who created, tended to and lovingly developed a much-adored, much-respected, much-idolized series like this? Why put the screenplay in the hands of an inexperienced young screenwriter with no films to her credit? Why insult a loyal fan base who sustained a small series and turned it into an iconic cultural touchstone? Why, in short, be such utter dickheads?

There’s no good reason (really, I can’t think of a single one one) to go ahead with a “Buffy” movie without Joss Whedon or, at the very and most ridiculously bare of minimums, his blessing. But this has neither. So this is just a transparent attempt at money grubbing because someone with the legal rights realized, “Hey, this teenage vampire thing has really taken off. Wait, we own a teenage vampire thing. CHA-CHING.”

Well, you’ve vastly misjudged us Buffy fans. We were never in it for the fad. We were never in it for the sparkly vampires. We were in it for Joss’s vision. We trusted his vision. We believed in his heart. He has earned that.


I’m still so sad he isn’t writing the “Wonder Woman” movie, too.

p.s. Find a much more exhaustive, slightly less emotional take on this Buffy reboot stake to the heart over at AfterEllen later today.

p.p.s. This post is really just a very elaborate way for me to show off one of my most prized possessions. Yes, that’s a signed script of “The Body” by all the Buffy writers. Yes, it’s awesome.

15 comments:

Elena said...

I really envy your signed script of “The Body” - one of my favourite eps ever.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, making a Buffy movie without Joss (and without the whole cast) is really bad, but have you read his reaction? "The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto" ... Doesn't that make you love Joss Whedon even more? *grins*

alice said...

First, I have to confess that I was blase about the signed script until I saw it was for The Body. Holy shit, is that awesome.

And massive ditto to the whole clusterfuck/ moneygrab that is this project. I'm holding my judgmental mind the teensiest bit open just because the unknown writer is from Delaware, and my home state still inspires a little loyalty, albeit of a completely unfounded nature.

The saddest part for me is that if this thing tanks, then the prospect of a *well-made* Buffy movie is pretty much gone.

January said...

What's especially sad is that this situation is an object lesson of what can happen to a talented writer at the beginning of his or her career. JW lost control of his signature creation to a hack.

Anonymous said...

What!? I didn't hear about this at all! I think the only way I'd be more pissed is if they also took his amazing TV series "Firefly" and tried to "re-boot" that one too.

Nice signed script, btw. I have a signed script from the finale ("My Finale") of "Scrubs," so seeing that made my heart happy. :)

Dianna said...

Extremely envious of your signed script. Truly, the best episode ever. So truthful, so well done.

Norma Desmond said...

Yeah... They think they're going to make money on this one, but if the core group of fans are against it, well... I'm going to say it's not going to go as well as they're hoping it will.

Anonymous said...

Completely agree with your post, utter dickheads they be! And totally envious of your signed script (how cute is Marti Noxon's sig?) :)

Anonymous said...

That script! Want. *Grrr Arrgh*
Love your blog, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

I guess his mom and sister, wife could be
love him a lot.
man who get lot of love from people,
generally like him, very good manner,
so on...

somewhat, you're the Fan!
I mean, even I like something a lot,
I generally don't went event or something else,
therefore, no chance for the signed paper.
that's cool~

thanks for today's posting,
I'm sleepy.

vrgriffith said...

Rather sad about: money grab,Joss-less script/blessing/directing, etc.

The reboot would be more palpable if the screenwriter had writing experience.

Totally jealous of signed script.I have signed script from pilot of The L Word.

Becky said...

What a marvelous, marvelous speech.

BB said...

Ms. Snarker, I've followed your blog and admired your writing for years now, and this is the first time I can honestly say I'm JEALOUS. I covet your signed copy of The Body. Seriously.

BTVS was such a momentous show for me personally, and I know I'm far from alone in that. It's hard to even articulate all the things I learned, felt, thought about, experienced as I was coming of age with the characters on Buffy.

I've religiously followed and loved all the work that has sprung from Joss's incredible imagination since then: Angel, Firefly, Serenity, Dollhouse, and the Buffy Season 8 comics.

I don't get why the legal owners of the character would even think of proceeding without Joss. Cashing in on the vampire zeitgeist, I know. What saddens me is the damage it might do to the franchise, and the idea that a whole generation of young women (and men) might never give the show with the silly name a chance (through DVDs, Netflix streaming, etc), and therefore never have a chance to be moved and inspired like so many of us were when it first aired.

I suppose the new writer could channel Joss and actually fashion something as marvelous as the original (series, not movie) was. But I won't hold my breath.

Spellbound said...

Exactly!!! I mean, we've all seen what a Buffy movie without Joss is like and well, it SUCKS! (Pardon the punnage!)

I am also immensely jealous of your signed script, even though I have my own. But mine is signed by the cast, and it's not The Body!!! *cries*

DJabberwock said...

I know this is a comment on an old post, but I thought it important to mention: Hey, the same people talking Buffy reboot screwed it up the first time around WITH Joss on board, don't forget. So I don't know why THIS should surprise anybody. We can only hope it's better than the Kristy Swanson version and await the next thing Whedon the White conjures from the mystical realm of his marvelous imagination.