Thursday, November 04, 2010

Elementary, my dear Watson

You know who I have always liked (though not in that way until after 2008 and even then, more like a precocious and beloved younger sister)? Emma Watson. We haven’t talked about her new haircut because, I don’t know – war, famine, elections, fatties, vampires, tank tops, Tina Fey, British lesbians, lesbian cheerleaders, naked athletes and more tank tops. But today I feel I can ignore the topic no longer. I love Emma’s new hair. Love. It.

Sure, it took a second to get used to the new haircut. So much shortness. So much Mia Farrow circa “Rosemary’s Baby.” So much not Hermione Granger.

But it’s a wonderful representation of what makes Emma not just another Hollywood starlet (not that she was every really one, period). Sure she isn’t the first actress to crop off her hair. Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Sigourney Weaver and even Demi Moore took it almost all off. But those were largely for roles. Her gesture is for herself and an act of both freedom and independence. Even if you don’t like short haircuts you have to respect her decision.

As she told Marie Claire:

“I’ve wanted to do it since I was about 16, and when Harry Potter ended in June, I just needed a change. It was quite symbolic for me. It’s very short; it was buzzed at the back and on the sides. And it’s really liberating that I can walk out without thinking about it.”

And even if you’re not a Harry Potter fan (wait, you’re not a Harry Potter fan?), you have to respect the way she has conducted herself over the years. This is a young woman who has been world famous since she was 11 and now, at age 20, has yet to enter rehab, get a DUI, flash her lady business, start a Twitter feud or get caught with “someone else’s” coke in her purse. Instead she is entering her second year at Brown, completing her time on “Harry Potter” with class and making it all look completely effortless.

She also told the magazine:

“I do things in my own way, but I’ve never felt any need to rebel. To be honest, I’ve always had far too much freedom. I had a job when I was 10. I started living on my own when I was 17 or 18. I’ve earned my own money; I’ve traveled the world. What would I rebel against?”

Sometimes, you don’t have to rage against the dying of the light. Sometimes it’s better to just enjoy and be thankful for the light while it lasts. And, Emma, in this light, with your hair like that? It hurts to look at you.

19 comments:

Fiona said...

Gorgeous.

Emily said...

Love her. So much.

Karmen said...

Good choice. Such an interesting (and beautiful) young lady. She's totally rocking that look!

Rizz Rustbolt said...

You know, for a series of books that was supposed to corrupt our youth with it's witchcraftery, Harry Potter seems to be having a far better influence on the youth that it's touched than any other franchise in the world.

Advizor54 said...

Emma is fantastic. I like her new hair, LOVE the new look, and admire her for being a spot of calm in the craziness of Hollywood. But can you imagine having her in your study group at Brown? How surreal would that be?

Urban Jointz said...

Wow! Take my head away from the drafting table for a moment and I encounter a world with so many changes! This is one of the few that I love! Rock On Ms. Watson!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Emma's pixie cut. She inspired me to cut my hair short (again). That girl has a serious case of beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Um, she actually did flash her ladybits. But in a totally, non-intentional, kinda classy, and over-18, wearing panties way! (Is it bad I know this because I remember it SO WELL? *skulking away feeling kind of ashamed*)

http://www.idontlikeyouinthatway.com/2008/04/emma-watson-upskirt-time.html

Anonymous said...

Snarker, I blame you for my sudden lack of productivity. Also for the link to Marie Claire which led me to the Emma Watson fashion retrospective which led me to this: http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity-lifestyle/celebrities/exclusives/emma-watson-style.

And now I'm not even pretending to work. All your fault.

(p.s. so excited that she's having such a good time at my alma mater.)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that last link should have been: http://www.marieclaire.com/cm/marieclaire/images/9t/emma-watson-0510-de.jpg. That look! That LOOK!

amott! said...

Not that I'm a stalker (nooo, not at all) but she goes to Brown and I go to the not so prestigious Rhode Island College and I did catch a glimpse of her in Providence last week. Thanks Ms Snarker for making my opinion heard, to more than just my girlfriend :)

Norma Desmond said...

You know, I don't know how much of a fan I am of her new hair, but I definitely support her normalcy. So absurdly refreshing in comparison to her American contemporaries...

Celia said...

Emma is such an amazing person. She's grown up in a business that can destroy child stars, but she has managed to stay well-rounded, intelligent, and just so normal. Her parents deserve a lot of credit for protecting her as well as they did. She's gorgeous, classy, talented, and simply amazing. Love her!

Anonymous said...

dang, what a cutie with that hair!

Anonymous said...

who is emma watson??
seriously i have no idea???
i am french and i talked to friends and nobody knows
this girl,woman???

Anonymous said...

I do! I do like watson!!
cus she's very handsome, not like just pretty,
the hair cut looks very cool.

It seems the season of harry porter,again,
I saw it in my country, movie theatre with my
friend, back then, they were very cute kids.
time goes so fast, that's good.

BosGuy said...

She has turned into quite a stunning beauty. In those last pictures she appears to be channeling Twiggy.

Camila said...

My first thought when I saw those pics was "....Audrey Hepburn!"
Don't know why, just can't help myself =P

I'm not her biggest fan but...she's really really cute

Anonymous said...

God. Emma. That haircut is just soooo fitting. I'll admit I never really thought she had much stage presence until she got that haircut. Perhaps it was the Hermione thing. Whatever. She's my newest heart-throb uber-crush.