Monday, December 14, 2009

Time Streep

That Meryl Streep is a great actress is a given. That she is a great actress doing great work with even greater box office at age 60 is a gift. It’s not that women can’t be great into their sixties and beyond. Of course they can. It’s that Hollywood has a hard time acknowledging actresses once they enter their 40s. But there Meryl is, still playing the leading lady, still playing the love interest, still making us swoon. Her new Vanity Fair cover story celebrates her continuing success. We all know what makes her great – talent, humor, smarts and a refusal to futz with her face. But perhaps you didn’t know that she hates to have her picture taken. And photographer Brigitte Lacombe should know, she has photographed the actress over a span of 30 years. Wow, imagine having three decades of Meryl in your personal portfolio. Though, I guess with a face like hers, you could easily find 30 years worth of material – and then some.

1979198619881990199120022009

p.s. Wow, I would like just one decade where I look as amazing as Meryl, let alone three in a row.
p.p.s. Having said that, 1988 was an exceptionally lucky year.
p.p.p.s. I am totally going to go see “It’s Complicated” when I’m home for the holidays next week. Who’s with me?

11 comments:

tlsintx said...

oh i'm in, Snarker...
i adore her. we could so be best friends...

Anonymous said...

Nice nice but way to overshadow Sigourney the way hollywood does :(

Alex M. said...

why is 1988 a lucky year??

Unknown said...

HAWTNESS on the 1988 photo. I love all Meryl Steep movies. I am not quite sure with Mama Mia, I have ventured to spend $5.00 on the DVD.

Hilarywho said...

I'll be there. I love Meryl! Even if It's Complicated is contrived, silly, and predictable, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it because of Meryl. And Steve Martin.

Dee said...

I can't wait to see It's Complicated! Looking forward to that despite Alex Baldwin, whom I can't stand..

If you're at a loss for the perfect Christmas gift, check out today's Crab Chronicles...

Anonymous said...

Saw the movie at a free screening...it was hilarious! Streep has a lot of great lines and Baldwin does too. Unfortunately Martin's character is all wishy-washy, but the party scenes were good. The audience was rolling in the aisles for the whole 2 hours.

kim said...

omg..she is exquisite..ditto on the 1988 photo, she rivals any of the young supposedly hot actress-of the-day in Hollywood in each other these photos. Meryl's beauty comes from her core as well..that's the difference :)

Estela Rengel said...

OMG, she looks amazing in 1988. But she still looks amazing now, that's the real OMG thing.

Love your posts. Kisses.

Anonymous said...

Ummm... 1990, short hair and a trench coat. Wow.

Norma Desmond said...

I think you already know how much I love Meryl. I think I've told you on several occasions. That said... Good Lord, I love that woman. I wonder if she knows she has such a huge lesbian following? Or is it just a human one? Regardless...