Monday, April 21, 2008

(Not Exactly) Naked Lady Monday

Perhaps it’s just me. Perhaps its just Monday. But this shot of Julianne Moore on the cover of Paris Vogue makes me go, well, ewww. Now I love Julianne. I think she’s a fantastic actress, appears to live a down-to-earth life and is just gorgeous as all get out. But this photo, with her leopard-skin panties and unbuttoned blouse, is the high-end equivalent of the paparazzi upskirt. I know and respect that our European friends have a different, less Puritanical, view of the body. And thank heavens for that. But how is a crotch shot ever classy? Even fully covered it makes me want to go all grandma on Julianne and say, “Oh honey, cross your legs. You don’t want to give people the wrong idea.” I mean when even Madonna has the good sense to keep ‘em closed, so to speak, for a rival French glossy, you know some unspoken boundary of modesty has been crossed. But again, maybe it’s just me. Or Monday. Perhaps after some coffee and a danish, I’ll be like, “Damn, look at Julianne’s cooter. Awesome!”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"How is a crotch shot ever classy?"

Well, of course there's always an exception...what about the David Lachapelle image of Bjork on the reflecting pool?

By the way, I agree with you that the Julianne Moore shot is oddly skeezy in the same way that the recent Madonna cover (what magazine was it where she looks like an aging S/M jockey?)...anyway. Also, her facial expression kind of makes her look like she just landed from Mars.

Lezlie Mac said...

Let me clarify a few misconceptions about that homeland of mine (France, that is..)

Playboy will always be Playboy, and looks pretty much the same here as anywhere else (naked lady, naked lady, naked lady, boobs, fake boobs, more boobs and endless crotch close-ups, very much not unfocusy - that was just for Ms.Binoche).

As for that crotch shot, I share Ms.Snarker's opinion. That not withstanding, you have to understand that in France, nothing sells as well as sex, sexuality or leopard-skin garments... The more obvious/crass/supposedly arty, the better.

Not that we're more obsessed than your average sexoholic, but it's just more in-your-face here. Sometimes less would be nice too...

Julianne Moore, that particular shot aside, still hot.

Anonymous said...

I like the crotch shot :-)

Anonymous said...

During the day today, I have come back a few times to look at the photo and ultimately all I can say is this...I have seen better pics and worse pics, that is for sure. And this falls somewhere in the middle. Though for Julianne Moore, I have seen MUCH better.

Anonymous said...

Crotch? I am captivated by the wet t-shirt cleavage.

Amanda said...

Maybe if it weren't animal skin...

Amanda

WordNerd said...

I can't stop looking at her cheeks. Why are they all sunken? It looks weird.