Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Monday, January 29, 2007
Saturday, January 27, 2007
1) Alice decides to be the May to someone’s December.
2) Phyllis feels like a new woman. Then she rents the U-Haul.
4) Bette meets Jodi. So much for first impressions.5) Jenny: the insanity continues. No animals were hurt in the making of this episode. Just our patience.6) Max…OK, I feel kind of sorry for Max.
7) Same goes for T&A Nadia.
8) Shane learns about playdates.
9) The WNBA this ain’t.
10) Hugo Boss, I salute you. New Guestbian Count: 3
[Marlee Matlin as Jodi; Kristanna Loken as Paige, Caroline Cave as Lindsay, a.k.a. the cute vet]
Low Point: It only took three and ¾ episodes for the season’s first oblique reference to Dana. Way to show you care.
Friday, January 26, 2007
USA Today reports that the images are part of Disney’s Year of a Million Dreams campaign. These star-studded shots, which include Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella and David Beckham as Sleeping Beauty’s prince, are only the first in an ongoing series. Leibovitz – who had a 20-plus year relationship with writer Susan Sontag until her death in 2004 – has a remarkable eye and uncanny ability to bring out the best in her famous subjects. So, ad campaign or not, I’m looking forward to the next series which will include Peter Pan, Tinker Bell and The Little Mermaid Ariel.
i forgive his words,
because truth be told
i do not believe
lives in his heart
she is far braver than i
perhaps she has less fear than i
but either way
i do not recognize the fictional character
the media has been developing
Tammy also ruminates, as she frequently does, on the nature of fame. So, thanks random readers for inadvertently tipping me off. That was worth a look. I’m still not sold on the inexplicable trend of famous lesbians blogging in verse, but since I’m feeling uncharacteristically nice today I’ll let that one slide.
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Why has Missy - who looks like the love child from a Hilary Swank-Linda Fiorentino tryst - caught many a gal gal’s eye? Well, look at her. Duh. Plus, whether she is gay or not, she sends off a decidedly dykey vibe. Not convinced? Consider the empirical evidence.
1. She wore this on the red carpet. This is something I would wear (minus the purse) when I’m being “fancy.” This does not speak to her feminine tendencies.
2. She appreciates a sensible shoe.
3. She seems really happy to be near this trophy.
4. She knows how to act around crazy straight women. In this case, that crazy straight woman is Avril Lavigne.
5. She knows how to act around non-crazy straight women. Note the placement of her right hand. Very nice.
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
*NOTE: I’d like to clarify that I am happy for the actresses nominated, who are all ridiculously talented, not necessarily the films they represent. I’m talking specifically about Judi and Cate’s nominations for “Notes on a Scandal.” As I said back in November when I first saw the trailer, it looked like another tired tale of a sad lesbian crush turned tragic. Which it is.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Is this how straight women are greeting each other these days? Really, I had no idea. I mean, I’ve heard of the heterosexual-male sports butt pat, but never the heterosexual-female admiration butt pat. Not that I’m complaining. At all. Enjoy Jessica Biel enjoying Maria Menounos’s ass. Hey, it can’t all be highbrow.
1) Warm is in. So, pile on the sheep-skin linings, Boris Yeltsin hats and supersized cap-scarf combos.
2) Brunettes love a jaunty chapeau. And, apparently, black coats.2) Blondes hate a jaunty chapeau. But really ladies, is showing off your pretty golden locks worth the impending head cold?
Monday, January 22, 2007
Saturday, January 20, 2007
I’ve decided to post my season 4 L Word pre-caps on Saturday, instead of Sunday. Gives you an extra day to study. Enjoy.
1) Jenny gets a bad case of vagina wig 2) Shane and Shay go back to school.
3) T&A Nadia gets frisky. Bette Purrs. But will she pounce? 4) Alice and Helena are the Oscar and Felix of lesbian roommates.
Best Line: “Try not to make her feel like she is the oldest fucking lesbian on the planet.” - Bette
Low Point: Not-so-sly dig at L Word critics: “Lesbians love to eat their own. It’s true.” - Alice
Friday, January 19, 2007
- Oprah Winfrey = $1,500 million
- J.K. Rowling = $1,000 million
- Martha Stewart = $638 million
- Madonna = $325 million
- Celine Dion = $250 million
- Mariah Carey = $225 million
- Janet Jackson = $150 million
- Julia Roberts = $140 million
- Jennifer Lopez = $110 million
- Jennifer Aniston = $110 million
- Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen = $100 million
- Britney Spears = $100 million
- Judith “Judge Judy” Sheindlin = $95 million
- Sandra Bullock = $85 million
- Cameron Diaz = $75 million
- Gisele Bundchen = $70 million
- Ellen DeGeneres = $65 million
- Nicole Kidman = $60 million
- Christina Aguilera = $60 million
- Renee Zellweger = $45 million
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Let me also assure you about the veracity of the next sentence. The film is billed as a naughty lesbian road-trip action comedy that includes all of the above ingredients plus “plenty of boyless sex.“ The plot follows the wild road trip shenanigans of a “skirt-chasing party girl“ and her “buttoned-down friend.” But plot-schmot, did I mention the plenty of boyless sex part?
The L.A. Times reports that Allison Anders (“Gas Food Lodging,“ “Four Rooms”) is attached to direct. No word on the stars yet, but the names Holly Hunter and Selma Blair have been bandied about. Well, Selma already had the hair for it. I think the film’s tagline says it all: “Women on the road. All kinds of action.”
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
A short recap: In October, Washington and Patrick Dempsey got in a fight where Washington hurled the slur at Knight. This forced Knight, who was not out, to tell People magazine he was gay. Things settled down until Washington brought it back up at the Golden Globes telling reporters “I did not call T.R. a faggot. Never happened, never happened.” Costar Katherine Heigl then sprung to Knight’s defense, saying, “I’m going to be really honest right now: (Washington) needs to just not speak in public. Period. I’m sorry, that did not need to be said, I’m not OK with it.” She went on to say, “T.R. is my best friend. I will throw down for that kid. I will beat you up. I will use every ounce of energy I have to take you down if you hurt his feelings.”
Two thoughts: 1) How awesome is Katherine Heigl? And 2) How much does Isaiah Washington need to get fired?
My final thought: How amazing is it to watch two gay stars talk frankly about their sexuality and the prejudice they face on a popular, nationally-syndicated show? And not the kind of show where people get up and start throwing chairs at one another.
UPDATE: Whew, a lot has happened since Washington’s f-bomb at the Globes. First, on Wednesday GLAAD issued a statement condemning his actions. Then, on Thursday, both ABC and Washington released apologies for the incident. Is it enough? Will people just please stop calling each other hateful names? Please.
“You know when an Essex girl has an orgasm, she drops her fries.” She stayed frisky when talking about her Oscar chances. “I’ve never had an ‘O.’ They said the earth moves. I can’t wait. I’ll definitely drop my fries for that.”A dame with a tattoo and a blue streak? God save the queen.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
When Dresses Attack: When Hair Attacks: When Tina Fey Attacks: People Who Should Win Every Award on the Planet: Cutest. Winner. Ever.
Monday, January 15, 2007
Sunday, January 14, 2007
L402 - “Livin’ La Vida Loca”
1) Bette, “the most glamorous dean” California University has seen in years, interviews for a new TA. Did you know T and A can stand for more than just “Teacher’s Assistant”? Hello T&A Nadia.2) Tina must…Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
3) Alice learns to properly pronounce “Papi.” How handy.
4) Max thinks that dating the boss’s daughter requires extensive knowledge of toy boats.
5) Jenny endlessly psychoanalyzes her own bullshit. Again.
6) Phyllis has a bolt from the blue. And by bolt I mean “Comes out,” and by blue I mean “out of nowhere.”7) Shane knows that you don’t have to be called “papi” to be a good daddy.