Friday, February 23, 2007

Are you ready for some Oscars?

CLICK to enlargeI feel about the Oscars the way other people feel about the Super Bowl. I check the stats. I run the numbers. I make my picks. Then I watch and critique every move from my couch. Why did he say that? What was she thinking wearing that? Who thought that it was a good idea to have Rob Lowe dance with Snow White? And so on. While I watch intensely most years, I also watch somewhat dispassionately. Sure, I have my favorites, but it’s not like the home team is playing. I cheer and clap and hope for something exciting to happen.

Not this year. This year I feel a vested interest. Why? Well, Ellen of course. Ms. DeGeneres will walk into the history books as the first out gay celebrity to host the esteemed award show. Sure, she has hosted the Grammys and Emmys, but the Oscars are different. The Academy Awards represent the best the entertainment industry has to offer. Hosting the show is an honor for Ellen and a nod of acceptance for all of us. While she may not wave the pride flag as feverishly as some would like, Ellen is still very much family. To have her beam into living rooms across the country and the world as the face of the awards, well, that’s something to feel proud about. So, this Sunday, I can’t wait to root, root, root for the home team. Go Ellen, go team!

2 comments:

ravaj said...

you are very smart, but then i have learned a lot from you. hello to you also! - ravaj.

Shannon O'Hern McNamara said...

WOW. That snow white clip is priceless. Long live 1989. I can't believe they sang Proud Mary. (Miss Congeniality II did it better. And gayer.)