Friday, February 16, 2007

“And when he’s done, you’d better clap”

CLICK to feel the loveYesterday I was feeling rather bad about the world, particularly the people in it. Though it shouldn’t still shock me, sometimes someone’s complete ignorance, hatred and cruelty catches me off guard. Hearing Tim Hardaway’s vitriolic rant was that jolt.

“You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don’t like gay people and I don’t like to be around gay people. I’m homophobic. I don’t like it. It shouldn’t be in the world or in the United States.”

Sure he has since apologized and been banned by the NBA*, but the damage was done.

Then, while watching “Ugly Betty,” I started to feel better. A lot better. Now my love for all things Bettylicious is well documented and unwavering. Last night it became transcendent. For all its camp and craziness, the show is really about heart. And, in a subtle way, changing people’s hearts and minds.

I can’t think of another primetime show right now that more deftly and effectively addresses gay issues. In last night’s episode, the parallel storylines of transgendered Alexis’ rejection and future-gay Justin’s acceptance were nothing short of magnificent. This is how change happens. It takes seeing someone you care about - even if only a fictional character - being hated or loved for who she or he is to challenge a person’s beliefs.

To quote Alexis: “People are kind of awful.” True, but sometimes they might just catch you off guard in a good way. When Justin’s father stood up for him finally, my God, I teared up. I really did. Can “Ugly Betty” save the world? No, of course not. But it can make it just a little bit better. Watch it for yourself and feel just a little better about the world, too.

*NOTE: For the record, I in no way forgive Hardaway. And yes I realize it was a half-ass apology and yes I realize the NBA banned him only from All-Star Weekend. I was trying to be brief since I linked to the full story. That man is a bigot without remorse and there is no excuse for that. Period. End of story.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Ms. Snarker! I hope GLAAD was watching last night.

Bainshee said...

On Hardaway - It is important to recognize (not that you didn't) that he did not apologize per se. He apologized only for saying what he said. It was quite a pathetic apology really - Surely only done so to placate the NBA.

Erica M said...

Also, not to nitpick, but Hardaway was not banned from the NBA, just from All Star Weekend.

I wish he had been banned all together. What a f*cker.